The birth of a township

Following the end of hostilities between England and the Thirteen American colonies in 1783, the British government was faced with the responsibility of having, in part, caused the displacement of thousands of people who wished to remain under British Read more

Read more

East Flamborough Township Hall, Part 3

Saving the Hall

For much of the 20th century, the Township Hall on Mill Street North continued to serve as the offices and Council Chamber for East Flamborough Township. After provincial government School Inspectors condemned and closed the upper Read more

Read more

East Flamborough Township Hall, Part 2

Town hall plan

At the October meeting of the East Flamborough Township Council, the members accepted the offer of a lot from Mr. John Cummins and agreed to pay him £50 on condition that he also provide the deed Read more

Read more

East Flamborough Township Hall, Part 1

Building town hall

Built of locally quarried limestone, the former East Flamborough Township Hall on Mill Street North is one of the finest examples of mid-Victorian civic building in rural Southern Ontario. In design, construction and materials, the hall Read more

Read more

Snake Road

While the lower section of Snake Road is no longer open to traffic, the upper section is still in use. During the 1980s, the City of Burlington announced plans to “reconstruct Snake Road,” by straightening some of its curves Read more

Read more

Snake Road’s importance lost

During the 20th century, many of the historic buildings and landmarks along the Snake Road disappeared or changed in appearance so that their original importance to travellers has now been forgotten.

By the mid-1950s, responsibility for the upkeep and Read more

Read more

Snake Road inns

As Waterdown developed into a prosperous village during the 1850s and 1860s, James Kent Griffin continued the enterprises begun by his father 20 years earlier, and expanded them to become a contractor, building houses and roads, including Snake Road, Read more

Read more

Mr. Griffin’s toll road

For the early residents of Waterdown and East Flamborough Township, travel to Hamilton via Waterdown Road or through Dundas was a long and difficult journey. A direct route became an ever-increasing need as the village and township prospered, largely Read more

Read more

The long and winding road

Long known as one of the most scenic roads in the Hamilton area, Snake Road today climbs the Niagara Escarpment between Plains Road and Waterdown in a series of twists and turns over a length of road that is Read more

Read more

La Salle’s journey, Part 2

The landing

On September 18, 1669, a small French expedition led by Robert Cavalier, Seigneur de la Salle, landed somewhere at the western end of Lake Ontario en route to the Indian village of Tinawatawa. It was believed that Read more

Read more

Your Cart