Crossing the creek

Dundas Street Beginnings, Part 3

Since water transportation along the north shore of Lake Ontario was good, there was not the urgency to build the eastern section of the Dundas Street highway that Simcoe had originally considered to be Read more

Read more

Clearing the path

Dundas Street Beginnings, Part 2

The British government’s decision to relocate the capital of Upper Canada from Newark (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake), to a site on the Thames River, where London stands today, initiated the start of the Dundas Street Read more

Read more

Noble beginnings

Dundas Street Beginnings, Part 1

On 23 September 1793, Mrs. John Graves Simcoe, wife of Upper Canada’s first Lieutenant Governor wrote in her often witty diary: “Captain Smith has gone to open a road to be called Dundas Street, Read more

Read more

The ghost in the library

Mounted on the wall of the Waterdown Library are two marble tombstones associated with the early history of the village. The markers commemorate Alexander Brown and his wife Merren Grierson, the first settlers in the area that was to Read more

Read more

Your Cart