The good doctor

One of Flamborough’s most beloved physicians was Dr. J. O. McGregor, who practised in Waterdown from 1884 to 1927. Born December 19, 1850, he attended high school in Guelph and acquired his degree of Medical Doctor at the University Read more

Read more

Crooker’s legacy

Frederick William Crooker was born in Waterdown on December 28, 1862, the only son of William Harris Crooker and Sarah Jane Rymal. He was educated at the Waterdown Public and High School on Main Street South and, during his Read more

Read more

Remembering: Sir William Pearce Howland

The Village of Waterdown has been home to many noted residents, since its founding in 1830, but possibly the most illustrious and least known is Sir William Pearce Howland, the only American-born Father of Confederation who spent many years Read more

Read more

Millgrove village, Part 3

Village social life

When the decision was made in 1874 to purchase the Methodist New Connexion Chapel at Clappison’s Corners, to become the Millgrove Village Hall, the transaction involved The Sons of Temperance Society.

The deed stipulated that certain Read more

Read more

Millgrove village, Part 2

Millgrove settles down

Millgrove’s industrial prosperity centred on the intersection of the present Millgrove Sideroad and the 5th Concession (Millgrove Road).

On the south-east corner, David Cummins had a turning mill and woodworking shop where he made furniture. Originally, Read more

Read more

Millgrove village, Part 1

The crossroads settlement of Millgrove was first established around a branch of the Grindstone Creek which meanders lazily through the village before exiting eastwards across the township line to East Flamborough. Today, Millgrove is a quiet community, in an Read more

Read more

Christie’s mission

Besides serving the Flamborough congregation, Rev. Christie for many years travelled throughout the southern part of Upper Canada, preaching as far east as Gananoque and Kingston, Hamilton to the west and Fergus to the north – many of his Read more

Read more

Christie arrives

On Sunday, September 16, 2007 a plaque commemorating the 175th Anniversary of the church at Christie’s Corners and the work of Rev. Thomas Christie was unveiled.

The Presbyterian Church has a long history in West Flamborough Township that has Read more

Read more

Settling down

The majority of East Flamborough Township’s early Patentees who requested land before 1800 received grants in the Lower Concessions (present-day Aldershot) and were mainly government officials and military officers. Without exception, these people remained absentee landowners, choosing to locate Read more

Read more

Surveyors marked township in 1793

When the decision to award the French émigrés a township was made in 1793, only a small portion of the proposed area had been surveyed; four concessions and an indented shoreline or Broken Front along the north side of Read more

Read more

Your Cart