Brock Road, Part 2

Brock Road attractions

During the 19th century, when the Brock Road served as the only reliable township road northwards, several small settlements developed where it crossed the concession roads, each becoming stopping places for the stagecoach and its travellers. Read more

Read more

Brock Road, Part 1

Paving the way, Brock Road Beginnings

From its earliest days and beginnings at Bullock’s Corners, until it exits the township at Freelton, the Brock Road has continuously served as a major routeway through West Flamborough. It was originally known Read more

Read more

Lost streetscape

During the early years of the 20th century, a group of buildings that included The Bell House and Tower, together with several other businesses, were to be found in the central section on the north side of Dundas Street. Read more

Read more

Era of growth, Part 3

The Weeks Family and their famous store

George Weeks purchased the Eager General Store in December 1924, and so began the long tradition associated with “Weeks of Waterdown” that saw it grow from a small general store to a Read more

Read more

On the block, The Weeks Block, Part 2

As one of the premier buildings in the village of Waterdown located at the most important intersection in the village, the building on the south-east corner of Mill and Dundas Streets, still known as the Weeks Building, has connections Read more

Read more

Weeks Building, Local landmark, Part 1

The magnificent stone building on the southeast corner of Mill and Dundas streets is still known to many in this area as the former home of the village’s most famous hardware store, Weeks of Waterdown.

The corner block actually Read more

Read more

“Dutch Town”

In the early 1850s, all the land north of Church Street and east of Mill Street to the banks of the Grindstone Creek in Waterdown was purchased for future residential growth by James McMonies and Thomas Stock, two prosperous Read more

Read more

Mount Carmel dedicated

Between 1865 and 1870, a small stone church was erected on the property purchased from Patrick Freel and adjacent to a burying ground in the village that had probably been established a decade earlier, as several monuments date from Read more

Read more

Catholic roots

The Catholic families who settled in West Flamborough Townships were first served by traveling missionaries from as far away as Toronto and Niagara. Father James Campion began ministering at the Head-of-the-Lake in 1827. Although attached to the military garrison Read more

Read more

Remembering the Rat Tannery

Today, little of Millgrove’s industrial past remains. One of the era’s last buildings is located at 328 5th Concession Road West, at the entrance to the village. The one-and-a-half storey stone barn was known by the strange name of Read more

Read more
0

Your Cart