This Heritage Paper looks at the history and architecture of one of the very fine stone buildings in the village of Waterdown, 50 Mill Street North, known as the Cook Read more
The last Heritage Paper listed extracts of marriages from early Upper Canada and Canada West newspapers. Such newspaper notices are a very valuable source of information for people researching family records, as civil registration did not become compulsory until Read more
Marriage records before 1869 when civil registration in the Province of Ontario became compulsory are unfortunately far from complete. Before civil registration started, records of early marriages are to be found mainly in Church Registers, now lodged in archives Read more
This Christmas Heritage Paper is taken from “Christmas in Canada — A Victorian Innovation”, by James Bannerman. This description of an imaginary Toronto family’s Christmas celebration shows what great changes have occurred in the past hundred years.
“Christmas for Read more
The Heritage Paper for this Christmas newsletter is taken from “Wilderness Christians: The Moravian Mission to the Delaware Indians”, by Elma E. Gray. The extract was submitted by Mrs. Dorothy Farquharson who discovered the book during her research on Read more
This Heritage Paper looks at an early listing of persons engaged in business and trade in the Waterdown area. The list is taken from the “Canada West List of Trades and Professions 1851” — a wonderful book covering many Read more
This Heritage Paper looks at the history and architecture of one of East Flamborough’s oldest buildings, the Parry house. This house is one of three buildings that Flamborough Township Council plans to declare historically significant.
The Parry house is Read more
During the early years of settlement in the township, many small communities sprang up. Most of these have now disappeared from the map: “lost” villages such as Bakersville; some have been absorbed by urban development and changing county boundaries Read more
This Heritage Paper looks at the architecture and history of one of Waterdown’s older buildings.
The old Post Office at 31 Main Street South is the only significant mid-19th Century store of frame construction in the village of Waterdown. Read more
The first in a series of papers about the small settlements of East Flamboro’ Township c.1867. Some of these centres have been absorbed into expanding urban development; some have disappeared; while others have remained virtually unchanged since Confederation.
Progreston Read more
The Flamborough Archives will be closed on Monday, May 24. Happy Victoria Day, and see you soon!