Cock Fighting in the Waterdown Area

Originally published in Heritage Happenings, September 1993.

Cock Fighting was a hobby among some local residents during the early years of this century. Although illegal, stories about it in the Waterdown area have been known for many years, but Read more

Read more

Hotels along Brock Road, West Flamborough Township

Originally published in Heritage Happenings, April 1993.

Several important early roads crossed West Flamborough Township, and as a result, the area abounded with small hotels, inns and taverns, constructed to serve not only the local inhabitants, but the numerous Read more

Read more

Hotels/Inns in Waterdown and East Flamborough

Originally published in Heritage Happenings, March 1993.

From the earliest days, hotels, taverns and inns have been part of the social history of the Waterdown-East Flamborough area. As a result of the area’s proximity to the Head of the Read more

Read more

The Kirk Hotel, Kirk House, Main Street North, Waterdown

Originally published in Heritage Happenings, February 1993.

Hotels have been part of Waterdown’s history from its earliest days. The village’s location on Dundas Street ensured east-west traffic and the need for hotels to serve travellers. The economic development of Read more

Read more

The American Hotel, North American Hotel, American House, Dundas Street, Waterdown

Originally published in Heritage Happenings, January 1993.

As soon as the first roads were cut through Upper Canada’s wilderness, hotels, taverns and inns appeared along the way, and the innkeeper, that Jack-of-all-Trades to the pioneer community opened the door Read more

Read more

The Story of Dundas Street – Part III

Early Inhabitants along Dundas Street from the 1841 East Flamborough Township Assessment Roll

Originally published in Heritage Happenings, November 1992.

One of the pleasures of researching local history is the frequency that a connection with another researcher is made. Read more

Read more

The Story of Dundas Street – Part II

Originally published in Heritage Happenings, October 1992.

The construction of Ontario’s first highway, Dundas Street or “The Governor’s Road”, that is today known as Highway #5 was divided into a two-part project. The first section that ran westwards from Read more

Read more

The Story of Dundas Street – Part I

Originally published in Heritage Happenings, September 1992.

During the Summer months, with the reconstruction of Highway #5 or Dundas Street1, the core of the Village of Waterdown has been a permanent scene of potholes, construction equipment and very unhappy Read more

Read more

Views of Waterdown and East Flamborough – Part III

Originally published in Heritage Happenings, April 1992.

The pioneer settlement of Waterdown and the wilderness that was East Flamborough during the 1830s was, according to an article printed in 1855 by the “Hamilton Herald Evening Times”, greatly changed, as Read more

Read more

Views of Waterdown and East Flamborough – Part II

Originally published in Heritage Happenings, March 1992.

Last Heritage Paper described East Flamborough as it was remembered by visitors and early settlers during the first two decades of the nineteenth century. The township was virtually a wilderness, with only Read more

Read more
0

Your Cart