During the last fifty years, several small communities in East Flamborough Township have almost disappeared. Progreston, once known as “one of the busiest milling spots on the Twelve Mile Creek”1 is today just a collection of houses that is Read more
During the 1860s, three Waterdown County Directories were published that contained entries listing the inhabitants and professions for the village of Progreston. This Heritage Paper contains these three listings in full.
The programmes that were presented by the Society in January and February of 1989 focused on the history of mills in the village of Waterdown, and some of the families associated with the Smokey Hollow area. While the development Read more
This Heritage Paper looks at the life of one of Waterdown’s early industrialists as recorded by a newspaper obituary found in an American newspaper, published in Iowa, August 1886. Obituaries are often an excellent source of historical and genealogical Read more
Among the earliest non-religious organisations founded in the Flamborough area, the Waterdown Mechanics’ Institute established in 1843 was one of the most famous. Prior to 1843, the Legislature of Upper Canada encouraged the formation of Literary Societies and Mechanics’ Read more
An early description of Beverly and West Flamborough Townships, taken from “Statistical Account of Upper Canada” by Robert Gourlay. Also included are the questions circulated to each township, and notes or explanations of specific words in the queries.
Early descriptions of East Flamborough Township are rare. In 1822, a book, “Statistical Account of Upper Canada” by Robert Gourlay was published in England. Produced following time spent in Upper and Lower Canada by the author, it was an Read more
Born in Durham County, England in 1784, John Applegarth emigrated to Canada in 1801, joining his older brother William at the Head of the Lake.1
The two brothers built a Grist Mill on the Grindstone Creek, near Aldershot in Read more
By using a number of secondary sources, a comprehensive record of the inhabitants of an area can be produced. The County Directory and Atlas were the sources for the 1875 listings that were submitted for the previous two Heritage Read more
Today, the name Aldershot is very loosely applied to the residential sub-divisions and commercial strip developments along Plains Road and the larger industries further to the north. Originally the name Aldershot, Aldershott, or Aldershot-on-the-Plains as it was frequently called, Read more
The Flamborough Archives will be closed on Monday, May 24. Happy Victoria Day, and see you soon!