Articles

The Gallagher Family of East Flamborough Township – Part III

Originally published in Heritage Happenings, April 1994.

One of the early families to settle in East Flamborough Township, the Gallagher family of Lot 8, Concession 6, originally came from Ireland. Previously, stories surrounding Samuel Gallagher, his wife Mary Sullivan, Read more

Read more

The Gallagher Family of East Flamborough Township – Part II

Originally published in Heritage Happenings, March 1994.

One of the early families to settle in East Flamborough Township, the Gallagher family of Concession 6, Lot 8 originally came from Ireland. Samuel Gallagher and his wife, Mary Sullivan, with their Read more

Read more

The Gallagher Family of East Flamborough Township – Part I

Originally published in Heritage Happenings, February 1994.
Apprentice domestic shoemaker in the 19th century. Image from The Band of Hope Review November 1861.

One of the early families to settle in East Flamborough Township, north of the village of Read more

Read more

Crooks’ Hollow, Part 1

Today, only the ghostly ruins of the famous Darnley Mill remain as evidence of the historic past of the small section of the Spencer Creek Valley known as Crooks’ Hollow. Dominated by the endeavours of James Crooks, this part Read more

Read more

Waterdown Fires

Originally published in Heritage Happenings, January 1994.

During this century there have been a number of disastrous fires in the centre of the village. The resulting damage to buildings and businesses altered the face of the village core. This Read more

Read more

Brock Road, Part 4

Freel’s town

Traveling northwards from Strabane, the most famous landmark of the township is soon visible, the spire of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Roman Catholic Church in Freelton. The village is the final West Flamborough community on the Read more

Read more

The Memorial Hall, Dundas Street, Waterdown

Originally published in Heritage Happenings, November 1993.

Located in the centre of Waterdown, the Memorial Hall has been an important part of village life for seventy years. Officially opened on Wednesday, January 24, 1923, the building had been dedicated Read more

Read more

Celebrating Anniversaries in 1993

Originally published in Heritage Happenings, October 1993.

Besides celebrating the anniversaries of the inception of Dundas Street (1793), The Waterdown/Flamborough Review (1918) and the founding of The Waterdown-East Flamborough Heritage Society (1973), the Newsletter Editor has also found two Read more

Read more

Cock Fighting in the Waterdown Area

Originally published in Heritage Happenings, September 1993.

Cock Fighting was a hobby among some local residents during the early years of this century. Although illegal, stories about it in the Waterdown area have been known for many years, but Read more

Read more

Brock Road, Part 3

Settling Strabane

The 7th Concession and Brock Road intersection marks the southern limit of the village of Strabane, although for several years the corner was known as Motorville. Located on both sides of the Brock Road between the 7th Read more

Read more
0

Your Cart