Articles

The King Family of Aldershot

Charles King, born 1765 in Morris County, New Jersey, stated when he petitioned for a land grant, that he had been in Upper Canada for six years. The family had come to Canada in 1785, after Charles had served Read more

Read more

Mount Carmel dedicated

Between 1865 and 1870, a small stone church was erected on the property purchased from Patrick Freel and adjacent to a burying ground in the village that had probably been established a decade earlier, as several monuments date from Read more

Read more

Early Settlement, East Flamborough

Settlement in East Flamborough Township dates from the first years following the end of the American Revolutionary War, and began along the north shore of Burlington Bay. The Mississauga Reserve, from the Purchase Line to the Humber River was Read more

Read more

The McCrae Family of Mountsberg

The northern part of East Flamborough Township, the Mountsberg area, was slowly settled during the 1840s and 1850s. This area consists of “rolling” countryside with noticeable hills and valleys, and is crossed by two creeks, the Twelve-Mile Creek and Read more

Read more

Catholic roots

The Catholic families who settled in West Flamborough Townships were first served by traveling missionaries from as far away as Toronto and Niagara. Father James Campion began ministering at the Head-of-the-Lake in 1827. Although attached to the military garrison Read more

Read more

Colonel John McCrae, the Rememberance Day Poppy

On November 11, 1918, the First Great War ended. The anniversary of that famous date was thereafter designated as Armistice Day, eventually becoming known as Remembrance Day. The symbol of this anniversary has become the poppy, and its adoption Read more

Read more

Militia List, War of 1812

Several past Heritage Papers have documented incidents and the involvement of Flamborough residents in the Rebellion of 1837. During the summer, while researching material for the latest Society booklet, information was found detailing names of East and West Flamborough Read more

Read more

Remembering the Rat Tannery

Today, little of Millgrove’s industrial past remains. One of the era’s last buildings is located at 328 5th Concession Road West, at the entrance to the village. The one-and-a-half storey stone barn was known by the strange name of Read more

Read more

Letters of Alma Reid

Prepared by Margaret D. Vance

In late May of 1899, a month short of her sixteenth birthday, Alma Reid wrote this letter to her father, John Reid, who was away from home on a building construction job. Alma’s mother Read more

Read more

Methodist Church, Part 2

A United front, St. James 180 years in Waterdown

Rebuilt of pointed rubble stone, the church was enlarged to serve the large and growing congregation. The cost of construction was over a thousand dollars, but only a small debt Read more

Read more
0

Your Cart