Marriage records before 1869 when civil registration in the Province of Ontario became compulsory are unfortunately far from complete. Before civil registration started, records of early marriages are to be found mainly in Church Registers, now lodged in archives Read more
Between 1860 and 1870, the commercial section of Dundas Street was filled with hotels and taverns; directory listings of Waterdown businesses record that there were as many as eight hotels in operation during this decade – one more than Read more
This Christmas Heritage Paper is taken from “Christmas in Canada — A Victorian Innovation”, by James Bannerman. This description of an imaginary Toronto family’s Christmas celebration shows what great changes have occurred in the past hundred years.
“Christmas for Read more
During its long history as one of the oldest buildings in the Village of Waterdown, the American Hotel has changed little in appearance from its date of construction c.1824-1830.
Known by a number of names during its more than Read more
The Heritage Paper for this Christmas newsletter is taken from “Wilderness Christians: The Moravian Mission to the Delaware Indians”, by Elma E. Gray. The extract was submitted by Mrs. Dorothy Farquharson who discovered the book during her research on Read more
Settlement in Waterdown and eastwards along Dundas Street dates from 1806, almost immediately after the British Crown came to an agreement with the Mississauga Indians for the purchase of their lands which stretched from the East Flamborough Townline to Read more
This Heritage Paper looks at an early listing of persons engaged in business and trade in the Waterdown area. The list is taken from the “Canada West List of Trades and Professions 1851” — a wonderful book covering many Read more
This Heritage Paper looks at the history and architecture of one of East Flamborough’s oldest buildings, the Parry house. This house is one of three buildings that Flamborough Township Council plans to declare historically significant.
The Parry house is Read more
Before the arrival of The Royal Bank in Waterdown, other small private banks existed in the village, offering their services to residents of the area.
The most famous of these, the Trader’s Bank, operated from 1909 to 1921 and Read more
During the early years of settlement in the township, many small communities sprang up. Most of these have now disappeared from the map: “lost” villages such as Bakersville; some have been absorbed by urban development and changing county boundaries Read more
The Flamborough Archives will be closed on Monday, May 24. Happy Victoria Day, and see you soon!