Brock Road, Part 4

Freel’s town

Traveling northwards from Strabane, the most famous landmark of the township is soon visible, the spire of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Roman Catholic Church in Freelton. The village is the final West Flamborough community on the Read more

Read more

Brock Road, Part 3

Settling Strabane

The 7th Concession and Brock Road intersection marks the southern limit of the village of Strabane, although for several years the corner was known as Motorville. Located on both sides of the Brock Road between the 7th Read more

Read more

Brock Road, Part 2

Brock Road attractions

During the 19th century, when the Brock Road served as the only reliable township road northwards, several small settlements developed where it crossed the concession roads, each becoming stopping places for the stagecoach and its travellers. Read more

Read more

Brock Road, Part 1

Paving the way, Brock Road Beginnings

From its earliest days and beginnings at Bullock’s Corners, until it exits the township at Freelton, the Brock Road has continuously served as a major routeway through West Flamborough. It was originally known Read more

Read more

Lost streetscape

During the early years of the 20th century, a group of buildings that included The Bell House and Tower, together with several other businesses, were to be found in the central section on the north side of Dundas Street. Read more

Read more

Era of growth, Part 3

The Weeks Family and their famous store

George Weeks purchased the Eager General Store in December 1924, and so began the long tradition associated with “Weeks of Waterdown” that saw it grow from a small general store to a Read more

Read more

On the block, The Weeks Block, Part 2

As one of the premier buildings in the village of Waterdown located at the most important intersection in the village, the building on the south-east corner of Mill and Dundas Streets, still known as the Weeks Building, has connections Read more

Read more

Weeks Building, Local landmark, Part 1

The magnificent stone building on the southeast corner of Mill and Dundas streets is still known to many in this area as the former home of the village’s most famous hardware store, Weeks of Waterdown.

The corner block actually Read more

Read more

“Dutch Town”

In the early 1850s, all the land north of Church Street and east of Mill Street to the banks of the Grindstone Creek in Waterdown was purchased for future residential growth by James McMonies and Thomas Stock, two prosperous Read more

Read more

Mount Carmel dedicated

Between 1865 and 1870, a small stone church was erected on the property purchased from Patrick Freel and adjacent to a burying ground in the village that had probably been established a decade earlier, as several monuments date from Read more

Read more

Your Cart