A List of Canadian Patents, issued to residents of Waterdown, and the Townships of Beverly and East and West Flamborough, from the beginnings of the Patent Office, June 1824, until 31 August 1872.

These records are taken from the “Blue Book,” the only full record in existence of patents issued in Canada prior to the beginning of the Canadian Patent Office Record in March 1873. Two volumes of “Patents in Canada” were published, the first in 1860 covering patents to 1849, and the second in 1865 covering patents from 1849 to 1854, but the production of more volumes was stopped due to a shortage of funds. Because many of the original documents have since become lost or destroyed, it is now impossible to provide any other full record of the patents issued prior to the Patent Act of 1872.

Patent No. 209 – Improvement in Horse-threshing Machines

LETTERS PATENT to William McKinlay, Township of West Flamboro’, District of Gore, Iron Founder, for the Invention of “An Improvement in Horse-threshing Machines.”

Montreal, dated 27th February, 1846.

A large main wheel, for horse power, turns on a male gudgeon fastened to the upper frame of the machine, there being a hole in the centre of the wheel to receive it. Cogs are on the under side, which extend within one inch of the inside of the rim, which is left plain to receive three small balance wheels that are fastened on three arms of the upper frame; — there is a large pinion on the other arm, and to secure the wheel in its place there are two pulley stands fastened on the long arm; a lever box is fastened on the centre of the wheel with four bolts; on the other end of the large pinion shaft is a spur wheel, which drives a small pinion; on the end of the small pinion shaft, is a coupling that turns the travelling rod, on the end of which is hung a band wheel, which drives a cylinder with a leather belt. The cylinder consists of a wrought iron shaft with two heads and pulley, of cast iron, keyed on it; the beaters of the machine are faced with iron and bolted on the heads; the concave consists of eight bars with two rows of teeth in each bar; the bars are reversed, having an open space between each for the threshed grain to pass through, and there are three bars on the back side for strengtheners. This concave, which is one piece of casting only, is far superior to the close concave; as the grain passes through it, the wind from the cylinder blows a great part of the chaff out with the straw.

WILLIAM McKINLAY.

Patent No. 312 – Several important improvements in Cooking stoves, and in the method of applying and using heat for cooking purposes.

LETTERS PATENT to James Kent Griffin, of the Village of Waterdown, in the County of Halton, for the Invention of “Several Important Improvements in Cooking Stoves, and in the Method of Applying and using heat for cooking purposes.”

Toronto, 13 March, 1851.

Firstly, there is a rising and falling grate worked by levers under the hearth, by which the size of the fire place may be altered at pleasure, whether the fire is burning or not. Secondly, there is an ash grate immediately under the fire, by means of which the ashes are at once lifted into a moveable ash pan and the grate cleaned at pleasure. Thirdly, the oven is surrounded on all sides by fire. Fourthly, the oven can be cleaned directly into the ash pan. Fifthly, by means of a water gate to lie on the bottom of the oven, steam is diffused through it, and the heat more completely equalized. Sixthly, the heat is regulated by means of the expansion of a brass rod pressing an iron one against a compound lever which open a damper. Seventhly, the oven is on a new plan and is a steam one – and eighthly, the front doors are provided with circular dampers so arranged as to allow the draft to be altered at any time.

JAMES KENT GRIFFIN.

Patent No. 333 – Certain improvements in the construction of Agricultural Ploughs.

LETTERS PATENT to Henry Markle, of the Township of Flamborough East, in the County of Halton, Carpenter, for the Invention of “Certain improvements in the construction of Agricultural Ploughs.”

Toronto, dated 12th July, 1851.

The distance from the point of the plough share to the stem of the plough is considerably shorter than that of any other plough, whereby it runs more steadily through the ground, and the distance from the said stem to the farthest extremity of the mould board is considerably larger than in any other plough. The mould board is also made with a peculiar curve or twist, of such a nature that in working, the sod or soil turned over is laid close and evenly as the plough passes along without being broken. The share may be made of wrought or cast iron, and with or without a cutter of same material.

HENRY MARKLE.

Patent No. 369 – Several new and useful improvements on Cooking Stoves.

LETTERS PATENT to James Kent Griffin, of the Village of Waterdown, in the County of Wentworth, Ironfounder, for the Invention of “Several new and useful improvements on Cooking Stoves.”

Quebec, dated 7th September, 1852.

They consist firstly, in the employment of raising and falling grate in connection with suitable registers in the fire doors, for the purposes of directing and increasing or diminishing the admission of air according to the position of the grate, and the quantity of fuel or heat required, being a simple and complete summer and winter apparatus. Secondly, in the use of any airing flue for the fire and smoke in front of the oven, and immediately back of the fire place, (substantially as described in Letters Patent granted me the 13th of March, 1851, excepting that no flame or smoke is made to pass through the hollow doors as in the said Letters Patent described,) in connection with the hot air draft. Thirdly, in an independent air draught for cooling the back or fire plates, for protecting the front of the oven, and for heating the end of the oven through hollow doors. And fourthly, in a superior method of broiling meat and toasting bread in connection with the shifting grate aforesaid.

JAMES KENT GRIFFIN.

Patent No. 407 – Improved Ladder

LETTERS PATENT to Zenas Everitt, of the Township of Flamborough West, in the County of Wentworth, Yeoman, for the Invention of “An Improved Ladder.”

Quebec, dated 12th May, 1853.

It consists in a chair, or platform, surmounting the ladder, also of poles, and supporters, longer than the ladder, broadened at the top, and bevelled, or prepared to rest against each other, through holes which a horizontal bar passes.

ZENAS EVERITT.

Patent No. 503

Issued Quebec, 15 March 1853.
H. Markle of the Township of East Flamboro’, County of Wentworth, for a “New and improved Double Dasher Churn.”

Patent No. 607

Issued Toronto, 12 March 1856.
J. Hugill of the Township of Beverly, in the County of Wentworth, for a “Diagonal Water Wheel.”

Patent No. 628

Issued Toronto, 30 April 1856.
W. Gill of the Town of Dundas in the County of Wentworth, for an “Improvement on Steam Engines by variable cut off and expansion Gear for stationary or Marine Engines”. (Within a year, W. Gill relocated in Waterdown and went into partnership with L. Cummer.)

Patent No. 688

Issued Toronto, 17 December 1856.
I. Mills of the Township of Flamboro’ West, in the County of Wentworth, for a “New and valuable Fire and Water Proof Tile for covering Buildings.”

Patent No. 702

Issued Toronto, 12 February 1857.
W. Gill of the Village of Waterdown, for certain “Improvements in the construction of Steam Engines.”

Patent No. 764

Issued Toronto, 7 August 1857.
G.W. Green of the Township of West Flamboro’, in the County of Wentworth, for the “Double Shuffle Churn.”

Patent No. 799

Issued Toronto, 7 November 1857.
J. Eaton of the Township of East Flamboro’, in the County of Wentworth, for a “New method of constructing lamps.”

Patent No. 849

Issued Toronto, 1 July 1858.
J. Wishart of the Village of Waterdown, in the County of Wentworth, for an “Improved Drill Plough.”

Patent No. 882

Issued Toronto, 30 September 1858.
G. W. Green of the Village of Greensville, in the Township of West Flamboro’, County of Wentworth, for a “Hand-Sowing Turnip Machine.”

Patent No. 929

Issued Toronto, 16 March 1859.
C. H. Horning of the Township of West Flamboro’, in the County of Wentworth, for “An Improved Rake for Harvesters.”

Patent No. 935

Issued Toronto, 5 April 1859.
J. Sipes and H. Sipes, both of the Township of Beverly, in the County of Wentworth, for “An improved Churn.”

Patent No. 940

Issued Toronto, 12 April 1859.
C. H. Horning of the Township of West Flamboro’, in the County of Wentworth, for “An improved Double Force Pump.”

Patent No. 1079

Issued Quebec, 29 April 1860.
John Dodd of West Flamboro’, in the County of Wentworth, for “A Steelyard or Weighing Machine.”

Patent No. 1340

Issued Quebec, 8 March 1862.
Isaac Mills of the Township of Flamboro’ West, in the County of Wentworth for “A Double and Single Dash, Hinge and Crank Churn, called Mills Victoria Churn.”

Patent No. 1417

Issued Quebec, 25 August 1862.
Thomas Head of the Township of Beverly, in the County of Wentworth, for “A Machine applied to every kind of Churn for more efficient and speedy way of making Butter.”

Patent No. 1488

Issued Quebec, 4 February 1863.
Levi Willson McCormick of the Township of West Flamborough, in the County of Wentworth, for “A Root Seed Drill.”

Patent No. 1596

Issued at Quebec, 2 October 1863.
Daniel Shepard of the Village of Waterdown, in the County of Wentworth, for “The Stave Cross Cutter.”

Patent No. 1694

Issued Quebec, 5 May 1864.
Thomas Fletcher of the Township of Beverly, in the County of Wentworth, for “A new and useful Beam and Mould-board, respectively, for ploughs.”

Patent No. 1749

Issued Quebec, 24 October 1864.
Henry Yeager of the Township of West Flamborough, County of Wentworth, for “A new and useful machine which he calls, “The Upsetting Machine.”

Originally published in Heritage Happenings, November 1985.

© The Waterdown-East Flamborough Heritage Society 1985, 2021

0

Your Cart